As a foreign investor interested in the Belgian business environment
, it is recommended for you to set up a liaison office
in the country that would give you a better insight on the commercial potential of the market. Also, it can offer the possibility of a better representation of your company’s interests. A liaison office in Belgium
acts as a connection between the parent company, situated elsewhere, and the business industries, competitors and partners on the Belgian market.
Main functions of a liaison office in Belgium
Opening a liaison office in Belgium
can offer many advantages to the investors, as it gives the parent company a presence on the market and it also offers the possibility to promote the main activity undertaken by the company and to establish contracts with Belgian companies
. If you want to open a representative office
, our company formation specialists
can help you throughout the process, but you should know that the office doesn’t need a registration in Belgium.
The activities of a Belgian liaison office
The liaison office
is supposed to act on behalf of the parent company
to determine market opportunities in the Belgian business environment
. As such, only the following activities are regulated by the Belgian law
• offering information to the potential clients or partners;
• providing promotion materials;
• lobbying for the parent company with local and foreign companies;
• coordinating the activities imposed by the parent company;
• surveying the Belgian market;
• organizing travel arrangement, when needed, for representative of the parent company or for its clients.
The liaison office is not allowed to engage in the following activities:
• imposing fees on various services;
• signing contracts on behalf of the parent company,
• buying property;
• importing goods;
Also, the office can’t develop commercial activities, as the Belgian law
states that only non-profit activities, such as market research and lobby are permitted.
In the situation in which the office has a permanent establishment in Belgium, it should register for the payment of the Value Added Tax. Our company formation agents can provide you with further details on the registration procedure.